Location: Aromas, CA Type: Full-time
We are looking for a Hands-on Plant Technician with a degree in Ceramic Engineering and experience in managing the manufacture of ceramic and glass tile using traditional materials as well as significant amounts of recycled materials. Knowledge and experience with master mold and die-making a plus. Our focus is to manufacture the highest quality artisan ceramic tile using the highest practical concentration of recycled materials. A passion for developing innovative ways of making beautiful tile is essential. We have been a Bay Area manufacturer for over 27 years, and we are currently working hard to disrupt the world of tile and bring a truly customer focus to an industry that is entrenched in a business as usual mentality.
Fireclay Tile is changing the face of tile, from the sustainable ways that we make our product using recycled content and local manufacturing to how we engage and sell to customers. We are intensely focused on building a vertically integrated brand and ensuring that all of our customers have the best experience possible when buying tile. Simply, we want to make tile easy, and we want to sell the highest quality locally made products in the most user friendly way.
Working with our other factory managers and sales team to support them in every way possible
• Management of grinding and milling recycled materials in preparation for use in clay and glass tile bodies.
• Management of clay body and glass blending equipment.
• Management of forming process and machinery, including wet-clay extrusion and ram-pressing, as well as some hand-pressing.
• Management of glaze-mixing operations, including daily batching for production as well as management of glaze lab procedures, testing logs, and archiving of test results.
• Management of firing procedures for roller hearth, periodic gas, and top-loading electric kilns.
• Exhibit a comfortable working knowledge of glaze chemistry to be able to adjust glazes from slower periodic firing to faster roller hearth firing, maintain color consistency of existing glazes to accommodate any raw material changes, and keep up with ongoing custom color demands. Development of a glaze department data base to include testing and production records for existing and custom glazes.
• Understanding and management of various types of glazing processes: hand-spraying and automatic airless application systems.
• Continue to assist in engineering streamlined systems to maximize manufacturing efficiency and minimize lead times.
• Supporting the team in any other way that is necessary
• Direct your professional energy towards a more sustainable planet
• Feel passionately committed to the product you represent
• Be a key member of an innovative & entrepreneurial company culture
• Love working in a team environment and supporting sustainable, US manufacturing
• Have training in ceramics
• Are detail oriented. Are meticulous, dedicated, love getting to work early, and appreciate working in an untraditional setting
• Possess a degree in ceramics or have experience in this type of setting
• Have experience managing teams
• Bilingual in both English and Spanish (though not 100% critical)
• Heavy lifting (40 lbs+) is a requirement of the job.
Fireclay Tile is an equal opportunity employer. We offer healthcare, vacation, 401(k), and employee stock options. Plus, we make the best BBQs in the world!