Learn how it's Handmade in California
- Our Handpainted tile is made in our Aromas, CA factory by our team of expert artisans. Many of our artisans have worked with us for over 20 years, and all team members are offered competitive salaries, opportunities for advancement, vacation, benefits, and ownership in Fireclay Tile.
- Each order is made handmade for you. We never keep stock, yet we are able to deliver materials in 1-4 weeks.
- Our Handpainted tile is available with 40 different glaze colors.
- Our Handpainted tile is suitable for interiors and exteriors, warm and cold climates (frost proof), walls, counters, vertical and horizontal surfaces.
Handpainted tile is also suitable for wet surface applications, including showers, baths, swimming pools and fountains.
Discover the History of an Art
- The wax resist technique we use on our Handpainted tiles originated in Persia. The intent of the technique is to ensure the glaze does not run from one part of the design to another during kiln firing.
- Historically, a combination of animal fat, grease and mineral pigments such as iron or manganese were used as the medium for controlling the glaze pooling. Today we use a proprietary formula for the wax resist to ensure both efficiency as well as high quality.
- Our Glazes are then inlaid with bulb syringes into areas between the lines. For our Handpainted Tile we use all of our own in house lead-free glazes.
Many of the designs within our collections are inspired by centuries old patterns. We also work to bring this artisanal technique into the modern age with more geometric designs.